The American Psychiatric Association - with our growing membership of 35,000 worldwide psychiatrists - is the voice of psychiatry for your patients and our profession. We offer advocacy, information, support, and educational opportunities to help you serve your patients and enhance your career. APA brings practice, education, and research together under one big tent - a tent that encompasses psychiatrists at all levels of practice, from resident-fellow members through senior-level psychiatrists.
APA members have access to many benefits available to psychiatrists, including:
Advocacy – APA is making a difference for our profession and patients through strong, consistent advocacy at the local and national level, educating policy makers, purchasers, the media and the public about mental health.
The Latest Research and Clinical Studies – Membership includes The American Journal of Psychiatry, the nation’s leading publication for psychiatrists, and Psychiatric News, APA’s bi-monthly newspaper that offers the latest developments on psychiatry related topics, such as health care, service delivery, Medicare/Medicaid and international news. Receive daily APA "Headlines," a summary of mental health related news appearing in the mainstream press.
Resources for You and Your Practice – Through the APA Practice Management Helpline, members have access to practical assistance on day-to-day issues that arise in managing a practice, such as reimbursement, relationships with managed care companies, coding, documentation, Medicare, Medicaid, establishing a private practice, closing a practice, mental health/addiction parity, and more. Members are also eligible to participate in the APA-endorsed members-only professional liability insurance program administered by American Professional Agency, Inc.
Networking and Professional Development – Access numerous networking opportunities through the District Branches and State Associations, specialty list-servs, discussion forums, newsletters, and meetings, and through our social media networks within Facebook, LinkedIn (members only) and Twitter. Opportunities for professional growth include CME programs, fellowships, scholarships, travel awards, research funding and more.
Lifelong Learning and Continuing Medical Education (CME) – APA Members save on registration at both the Annual Meeting and the Institute on Psychiatric Services, APA’s educational conference on public and community psychiatry. Members also have access to online CME, including practice guideline courses which are offered at a 50% discount and FREE Performance in Practice (PIP) Physician Practice Assessment Tools to fulfill MOC Part 4 requirements.
Receive Discounts on Quality Services for you and your practice with these additional benefits:
• Access to product and patient education resources and e-Prescribing through PsychPRO.
• Exclusive savings on auto and home insurance through Liberty Mutual.
• Credit card programs and other financial services through Bank of America.
• Financial and retirement planning with Merrill Lynch.
• Group discounts on credit card processing from TransFirst (Formerly Solveras Payment Solutions.)
• Receive drug and patient safety alerts securely online through Health Care Notification Network
• Car rental discounts with Alamo, Avis, Budget, Hertz and National.
• Discounted Magazine Subscriptions.
• Discounts on Penny-Wise Office Products.
• Clinical reference applications at the point of care through Epocrates.
• Online career search and recruitment through APA JobCentral.
• Money-saving legal consultation from APA’s Legal Information & Consultation Plan (separate fee.)
For questions regarding your membership, please contact APA Customer Service
Call Toll-Free: 1-888-35-PSYCH (888-357-7924)
From outside the U.S. and Canada call: 01-703-907-7300